Professional Features for Professional Audio Recordings
The DR-40X is a versatile four-track audio recorder for music, podcasting, cinema and any other application requiring high-quality audio. Building on the highly successful Tascam DR-40, this recorder adds several new functions to the already comprehensive feature set.
A pair of cardioid condenser microphones handles high sound pressure levels and can be set up in AB or XY orientation for a wide stereo field or extra-clear reproduction with reduced phase displacement between both channels. Users can also use their own microphones or line-level source through dual Neutrik XLR/TRS combo jacks that support both mic level and +4 dBu line level from mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamps include 48-volt phantom power and plenty of gain to capture everything from small whispers to loud live sounds. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording directly from an external console, which is ideal for live performances. Like its predecessor, the DR-40X also offers dual-level recording, a feature that helps to avoid distortion by providing a second recording file created with a lower level setting.
Simple to Operate
The layout of the DR-40X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding marks are just a button press away. Menus are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese. Three different auto level modes (Limiter, Peak Reduction, Auto Level) can help to prevent accidental distortion while recording. You may apply one out of six reverb effects to the input or output signal, and an Overdub feature allows voices or instruments to be added to existing audio files. There is also a Level Align function that allows to smooth out any sudden volume jumps during playback, and a built-in speaker is provided for quick check-back. Other features like variable speed audition, low-cut filtering, chromatic tuner and more can be chosen from the menu.
Transcript Your Voice Recordings
The new Dictation Mode enables you to jump back and forth in preselected increments while playing back a file. It can be combined with speed control and a special dictation EQ making it useful for transcribing minutes recordings, for example. The new tape-style Overwrite mode with one level of undo lets you select a drop-in time and replace part of an existing recording.
Turn Your Room Into a Studio – In a Minute
Apart from handheld recording, the DR-40X can also be used as a USB audio interface with two inputs and outputs, making it a strong yet easy gear for voiceover work, live streaming, podcasting and songwriting with studio-quality audio.
Features At A Glance
- Portable, high-quality handheld recording
- Compact size and easy operation
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards can be used as recording media (up to 128 GB)
- Supported audio formats:
Linear PCM (WAV/BWF format) at 44.1/48/96 kHz and 16/24-bit
Compressed (MP3 format): 32–320 kbit/s at 44.1/48 kHz (VBR files can be played but not recorded)
- Can be used as a USB audio interface with Mac and Windows computers (two inputs, two outputs)
- Built-in cardioid stereo condenser microphone
- Accepts high sound pressure level up to 125 dB
- Easy setup (AB and XY configuration supported)
- XY configuration allows mono compatible recordings and high sound localization acuity (lively interviews or field recordings with ambience)
- Good directivity and channel separation
- Ideal for live music and field recording, news gathering, music training etc.
- MS decoder for recordings created with mid/side microphone configuration
- Stereo XLR/TRS mic/line input with phantom power (supports +4 dB line level input)
- 4-track recording
- Create two stereo recordings from the built-in microphones and the external mic/line input at the same time
- Create two stereo recordings with different level settings from the built-in microphones or external mic/line input at the same time
- Non-destructive overdub: Record a mix of one or two stereo playback files and a stereo input signal to a new stereo file or record only the input signal while playing back one stereo file
- Mixdown feature with level, pan and effect controls for each track (creates a stereo track from a 4-track recording)
- Overwrite function for punch-in recording with one level of Undo
- MS decoder for recordings created with mid/side microphone configuration
- Switchable low-cut filter (40 Hz, 80 Hz, 120 Hz, 220 Hz)
- Manual or automatic recording level setting
- Three Options of automatic level control during recording: Peak Reduction, Auto Level, Limiter
- Pre-recording buffer (2 seconds) allows a recording to start before the record key is pressed
- Auto recording start and stop by input level
- Self-timer allows a recording to start 5 or 10 seconds after pressing the RECORD button
- Create a new file during recording (manually or by file size)
- Mark function (manual or automatic, up to 99 marks for each file)
- Automatic level align allows to increase the perceived overall sound pressure during playback
- Variable speed audition to change the playback tempo without affecting the key (50–200 %)
- Repeat function (repeat one track or all tracks)
- Loop function (repeat a marked section)
- Playlist feature to play files in a certain order
- Resume function (start playback from the audio position where the unit was last stopped)
- Jump back function to instantly review playback (1–10, 20, 30 seconds)
- Equalizer for tone control during playback
- MP3 ID3 tag display (up to version 2.4)
- Built-in monitor loudspeaker
- Headphones/Line output
- Built-in reverb effect (6 presets, can be applied to input or output signal)
- Chromatic tuner function to tune your instrument
- File divide function to cut unwanted noise or to extract parts from long recordings
- Folder management to organize your files
- Hold function to avoid inadvertent operation
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- Menu language can be selected between English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese
- Clear, backlit LC display
- USB 2.0 port for file transfer to/from computer
- Power supply by 3 AA size Alkaline or NiMH batteries (up to 15 hours continuous operation with phantom power off), USB bus power or optional AC adapter (Tascam PS-P520E)
- Long-time operation of over 20 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Rubber feet included for improving the acoustic properties during desktop recordings
- Stand adapter (¼ inch) on bottom side to attach the unit to a tripod or microphone stand
- Optional footswitch (RC-3F) and wired remote control (RC-10)
Our chosen courier, DPD is currently operating as normal and all orders should be delivered on time. DPD are also now operating a "contact-free" service as a standard process and customers will not be asked to sign handheld units.
Mainland UK Delivery Services
Order before 2pm, Monday to Friday, for same-day dispatch of in-stock orders. Very heavy items such as pianos may take longer to deliver. In-stock orders placed over the weekend will be dispatched on Monday. Estimated delivery times for out of stock items are to be used as a guide only, these items may take longer than estimated to arrive. While we try our best to ensure rapid delivery of your order, delays may occur which are outside our control, and delivery of large or bulky items, or to remote or non-mainland addresses may take longer than estimated.
Most UK deliveries are shipped by our trusted courier, DPD. You'll receive an email with a delivery day, tracking and a one hour estimated delivery window on the morning of delivery. While we can't specify the time of the delivery, if it's not convenient, you can arrange directly with DPD for an alternative delivery date or request the parcel be left with a neighbour.
For heavier items, we usually ship UK deliveries by TNT. You will receive an email with tracking details when we ship your order.
Delivery to mainland UK addresses is free on all orders over £99. Delivery charges are based on the size and weight of your order and, in some cases, your location. A standard next working day carriage charge for UK mainland addresses is shown on the shopping basket page, but you can change delivery service later in the checkout.
We use a few different delivery couriers, depending on the items being sent, your location, and the delivery service you've chosen:
Most orders will need to be signed for and we advise you make sure to check your parcel/s for any damage before signing. If no-one is available at your address, a card will be left so you can arrange a re-delivery directly with the courier. Redirection of an order after it's been dispatched may incur an extra charge from the courier.
Delivery charges displayed apply to most UK mainland addresses. Deliveries to Northern Ireland, UK non-mainland, and European addresses will cost more, and carriage charges will be shown at the checkout before you place your order. Free delivery offers may not apply to some remote/Scottish Highlands addresses.
Replacement process for items damaged in transit or faulty
It doesn't happen often, but occasionally an item does get damaged on it's way to you. Don't worry! If your order is received either damaged or faulty, just let us know, preferably using the returns request form within 30 days of receiving the item, and we'll arrange for it its return and for a replacement or refund.
Returning an undamaged item
You can return most items bought online or by phone within 14 days for a refund (provided that it is unused and returned to us in New Condition – including packaging). You will need to return the item at your own expense. When we receive the goods back undamaged and with the correct packaging we will refund the cost of the goods.
Software or products that include software that needs to be registered are not eligible for this 14 day return period if opened and installed, and due to hygiene reasons we can't accept certain used in-ear headphones, microphones or harmonicas.
Faulty items under guarantee
The repair procedure for items which are under guarantee varies from manufacturer to manufacturer - please refer to the documentation which accompanied your purchase or complete the returns request form and we will advise you of the appropriate process.